Thursday 20 October 2011

Dk3 From Hell

So a couple months ago a fellow arcade guy dropped off a some boards for me to fix. I got most of the repaired fairly painlessly with just bad ram/rom issues. Then there's the DK3 this is the one that he wanted fixed the most so he could use it as a backup or his machine. I put the board on my rig and it was dead so i swapped in a working video board and what do ya know i got a perfect picture. So i have a problem on the video board I started at the clock circuit and what do ya know dead as a doornail. I changed out the 10136 ecl counter and well now it kinda counts but still no clock. Now i change the 10105 triple nor/or gate and wow it counts just like it should but still no pic. So i move to the 10125 its a ecl to ttl translator and its dead as dead can get pins 14, 5, and 4 are dead, So i change it and voila it works i have a picture but no characters. So i start poking around the ecl ram area and notice that the 10125's there are also dead so i swap them out and now i start to get random character glitches, so i swap the ram 10422 and now i have more sparkles lines and glitches were characters should be. Whats left i ask my self, well its the 10124 ttl to ecl translators so i change them all out too. Now it all works like a charm I even took all the parts one my one and swapped them in to my tester board it has everything in the ecl socketed to i can verify if ti was actually bad and it was every one of them. My guess is that the machine that is board was in had a faulty -5v power supply and it blew up all the ecl circuit. Either way it was the most broken board I've ever worked on, and I'm glad the its done.

No comments:

Post a Comment